Frequently Asked Questions related to Sexuality and Gender Diversity at The University of Kansas

Does KU provide gender-neutral/single occupancy restroom facilities in administrative and academic buildings?
Yes, but they are limited. Visit this link for maps and more information.
I'm doing a class project and want to interview a staff member or student. What should I do? 
We want to make time for you! And we are busy. Please contact us at least 3-5 days before your project is due. Email us at sgd@ku.edu to set a meeting.
Are there active LGBTQIA+ student organizations on the KU campus?
Yes, there are four registered LGBTQIA+ student organizations on campus. Spectrum KU is a student organization that has existed on KU’s campus for over 40 years. Delta Lambda Phi is KU’s gay, bisexual, and progressive men’s fraternity. OUTlaws & Allies is a support group in the School of Law for LGBTQ and allied individuals. Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM) is a national society dedicated to educating and fostering leadership for LGBTQA communities in the STEM fields. We have new group for Queer Students of Color (QSOC). Please smail sgd@ku.edu for information. 
Is there a campus office for LGBTQIA+ students?
Yes. You are here! The Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity is a clearinghouse of information regarding issues affecting the gender and/or sexuality minority community (LGBTQIA+) — as well as our straight friends, family members and allies. "The Center" provides information about organizations and support services on campus, locally and nationally, information about news and upcoming events, educational and awareness programming, outreach and advocacy, and individual peer counseling. sgd.ku.edu
Does KU have full-time professional staff employed to support LGBTQIA+ students and staff?
Yes, we have 2 full time professional staff members (a Director and a Coordinator), one part-time graduate assistant, and an undergraduate student intern. Our staff is physically located in the Sabatini Multicultural Resource Center at 1299 Oread Ave., 66045. sgd@ku.edu
Are there LGBTQIA+ sensitive counseling services available?
Yes, the Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) Office provides affirming and sensitive individual counseling to members of the LGBTQIA+ community (request an LGBTQIA-friendly counselor). http://caps.ku.edu/
Are there activities and programs offered on campus that specifically address LGBTQIA+ issues?
Is there a procedure for reporting LGBTQIA+ related discrimination?
Yes, since sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression are included in KU’s non-discrimination policy, incidents should be reported to KU’s Office of Institutional Opportunity & Access. To file a complaint of discrimination, visit: http://ioa.ku.edu
The University of Kansas is committed to preventing, correcting, and disciplining incidents of unlawful harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual assault. For more information or resources for help visit: https://studenthealth.ku.edu/sexual-assault and https://sapec.ku.edu

Follow the Center on Facebook and Twitter!

Facebook Twitter

Report an Incident?

Contact IOA

Student of Concern?

Student of Concern?